Wound Care RN
We are looking for a Wound Care Nurse to join our team!
*Must be Wound Care Certified*
The primary purpose of this position is to provide high quality, holistic nursing care in accordance with nursing practice standards and health care regulations which govern the practice of professional nursing. Lead or direct licensed and non-professional staff in the delivery of direct resident care and support functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Skin/Wound Care Functions
- Provides clinical expertise, education, consultation, leadership and research to the organization in relation to patients and staff with wound and skin needs. Ongoing education (formal and informal) is expected of the position to stay current with clinical standards of care and new products / equipment for wound and skin care interventions.
- Serves as a resource to residents, staff, physicians and management.
- Reviews and assists with recommendations on available resources to promote efficient, effective and compassionate care related to wound and skin care services throughout the organization. This includes auditing that the resources are being used, communicated and documented correctly according to the Federal and State regulations and the facilities policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care of wounds, fistulae, pressure injuries and skin breakdown. This can include obtaining and reviewing the MD orders, completion of the plan of care, the treatment being provide and the documentation of that care so all aspects are correctly completed.
- Coordinates with the Director of Nursing with the ongoing tracking and trending of wounds and skin issues for quality initiatives, completion routine reporting forms, and provides recommendations if changes are noted, specifically monitoring the number and time for wound and skin care treatments and if additional resources are needed to insure they are being done as required per the MD orders.
- Follows the Federal and State regulations and the facility policies and procedures as well as all infection control, safety, OSHA, CDC and privacy/security requirements.
- Assists as requested with any survey/legal or regulatory requests in the wound and skin care area.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- The Wound Nurse must possess specialized clinical knowledge/expertise on wound care and skin care to be able to be a resource to the staff and others.
- The Wound Nurse will provide direction and leadership to immediate staff.
- Support and perform in accordance with administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Give clear directives and constructive feedback.
- Use of clinical and managerial expertise in developing and educating staff.
- Demonstration of effective problem solving.
III: The Wound Nurse will provide exceptional customer service to all residents, families, and staff.
- Respond promptly to customers and staff questions or inquires.
- Follow up with customer or staff inquiries.
- Exhibit VMPs culture of excellent customer service.
- Seize challenges brought forth and empower staff to do the same.
- Exhibit positive body language to all residents, families, and staff.
- Understand the manner in which the service is rendered is just as important as the technique itself.
- Communicate positively and effectively.
IV: The Wound Nurse will assist the Director of Nursing in maintenance of standards of practice.
- Review documentation to ensure adherence to policies and procedures, State and Federal guidelines.
- Participate in policy and procedure development and survey processes.
- Evaluate levels of resident care.
- Perform chart audits, include monitoring of physical and nursing orders to ensure they are carried out correctly and documented properly.
- Participate in quality improvement programs.
- Assist in teaching of specific training programs for staff.
V: The Wound Nurse will keep current in State and Federal codes affecting long-term care and standards of nursing practice.
- Take responsibility for ongoing self-development
- Keep current in health care issues.
- Current CPR certification.
VI: The Wound Nurse will maintain acceptable work standards.
- Maintain appearance to meet department’s standards.
- Maintain acceptable record of attendance and promptness according to facility policy.
- Use proper lines of communication
- Maintain safety standards and institute safety precautions as appropriate.
- Support and participate in changes involving the department.
- Maintain 12 hours minimum of CEU’s.
Attend mandatory in-house education, including skills review and competency testing.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Above average assessment skills in geriatric patients and supervisory experience is preferred. Prefer to have experience in nursing in a long-term care facility or similar experience. Wound and Skin Care experiences and specialty training/education.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree or Associate Degree in nursing; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess a current and active license to practice as an RN or LPN/LVN in this state. Wound/Skin Certification is Required.