Respiratory Therapist (Full Time)
With VMP's Ventilator Unit expanding we are looking to add more RTs to our team!
Administers respiratory therapy care and life support to patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system, under the supervision of Physician and by prescription, by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Reads prescription, and reviews patient information to assess patient condition and determine requirements for treatment such as type and duration of therapy, medication, and dosages.
- Determines most suitable method of administering respiratory therapy, precautions to be observed, and modifications which may be needed that will be compatible with Physician's orders.
- Sets up and operates devices such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, suction apparatus, and humidifiers.
- Operates equipment to ensure specified parameters of treatment such as volume, gas concentration and humidity. Administer medicinal gases and aerosol drugs to patients.
- Monitors patient's physiological responses to therapy such as vital signs, ETCO2, O2 saturation, and blood chemistry changes.
- Assists patient in performing breathing exercises.
- Observes equipment function and adjusts equipment to obtain optimum results to therapy.
- Consults with nurse and physician in the event of adverse reactions.
- Maintains patient's chart that contains pertinent identification and therapy information.
- Inspects and tests respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently. In conjunction with Respiratory Director will be responsible for sending equipment to manufacturer for repair/replacement and contacting companies for maintenance checks.
- Perform new respiratory treatments and regularly scheduled treatments for the residents.
- Performs all equipment and maintenance checks according to manufacturer and policy.
- Cleans and maintains respiratory equipment per infection control policy.
- In service other healthcare professionals, clients, care givers and VMP staff on respiratory modalities.
- Demonstrates respiratory care procedures to trainees and other health care personnel.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school. CRT or RRT required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Wisconsin license in Respiratory Therapy. CPR certification.