VMP is looking for a full-time Catholic Chaplain!
Provide and coordinate religious services and pastoral care for residents, patients, families, and staff of VMP.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Cooperate with entire Pastoral Care staff to provide weekly and special worship services to enhance the spiritual lives and religious faith of the VMP community. Arrange or conduct memorial services and other special services as appropriate. Be available to preach, lead, and officiate sacraments (the latter as applicable to chaplain’s denomination and credentials) on Sundays according to a rotation schedule arranged with the Pastoral Care staff.
- Assist residents, patients, families and staff in coping with terminal illness, dying, and death. Be available for emergency calls at the death of a resident, according to a rotation schedule arranged with the Pastoral Care staff.
- Engage in pastoral ministry with residents, patients, families, and staff on a regular basis.
- Provide spiritual and religious support and counseling for residents, patients, family members, and staff as requested.
- Function as liaison between VMP and the larger interdenominational religious community.
- Participate in orientation of new employees, in service programs, support groups, and interdisciplinary committees, as requested.
- Complete Spiritual Assessments on residents and patients in assigned areas and chart significant information gathered in pastoral visits. Complete Care Plans and attend Family Care Conferences and other interdisciplinary team meetings.
- Participate in professional and community organizations as a means to achieve personal growth, promote a positive image for the organization, and keep informed on the latest pastoral care and health care industry developments.
- Maintain “on call” responsibilities during normal off-duty hours (i.e. evenings and weekends), according to a rotation schedule arranged with the Pastoral Care staff.
- Work with Chaplain-Educator to insure a quality CPE program through presentation of didactics, mentoring of students working in the chaplains’ assigned areas, and evaluation processes.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the interdisciplinary team to ensure high quality of resident care.
- Plan and present programs in the community in order to extend the ministry of VMP “beyond its walls”.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide pastoral care specific to the age of the resident/patient.
- Demonstrate preaching and public speaking abilities, as well as teaching and small-group SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE
Bachelor’s degree and Master of Divinity degree or the equivalent, from an accredited college and seminary. At least 4 units of clinical pastoral education (CPE). At least 3 years of ministerial experience, which includes working with the elderly. Catholic chaplain is required.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.